By Francesco Femia and Caitlin Werrell
The Center for Climate and Security (CCS) has been producing cutting-edge analysis of the security risks of climate change since its founding ten years ago – back when few were paying attention to this dimension of national and international security. Today, climate security risks are unfortunately on the rise across the world, and the need for continued analysis (and urgent policy action) on the issue has never been greater. In this context, the CCS team continues to deliver informed warnings about the state of climate security, and to offer solutions. Here is a list of notable output from CCS, and its experts, over the past few months.
- John Conger, “The Pentagon’s New Climate Plan Aims to Manage the Unavoidable,” Defense One, October 7, 2021
- Erin Sikorsky, “Climate Change Isn’t the Only Factor in Recent Disasters,” The Hill, September 15, 2021
- Eric Hunt, Francesco Femia, Caitlin Werrell, Jordan I. Christian, Jason A. Otkin, Jeff Basara, Martha Anderson, Tyler White, Christopher Hain, Robb Randall, Katie McGaughey, “Agricultural and food security impacts from the 2010 Russia flash drought,” Weather and Climate Extremes, Volume 34, December 2021, 100383
- Marcus D. King, Caitlin Werrell and Francesco Femia, “The responsibility to prepare and prevent: Closing the climate security governance gaps,” in Anthropocene (In)securities: Reflections on Collective Survival 50 Years After the Stockholm Conference, September 2021
- “Climate Change in the U.S. National Security Strategy: History and Recommendations,” The Center for Climate and Security, an institute of the Council on Strategic Risks. June 2021. Holly Kaufman and Sherri Goodman.
- Catherine Dill and Alexandra Naegele, “How the Climate Crisis Could Further Destabilize North Korea | Opinion,” Newsweek, August 18, 2021
- Antonio Busalacchi and Sherri Goodman, “Why National Security Agencies Must Analyze Climate Risks,” Lawfare, August 6, 2021
- Robert Glasser and Erin Sikorsky, “US and Australia must deepen defence cooperation on climate security,” The Strategist, July 27, 2021
- Erin Sikorsky, “Secrets Alone Won’t Save Us: Providing ‘Decision Advantage’ on Climate Security,” War on the Rocks, July 15, 2021