On January 13, 2022, join the Center for Climate and Security as we host Jumpstarting Demand for Climate Solutions: The First Movers Coalition and US National Security, a panel discussion featuring representatives from the Department of Defense, Department of State, and industry leaders from 10-11 am EST. Click here to RSVP.
Context: In November 2021, the United States and the World Economic Forum launched the First Movers Coalition: as “a new platform for companies to harness their purchasing power and supply chains to create early markets for innovative clean energy technologies that are key for tackling the climate crisis.”
The International Energy Agency forecasts that roughly half of the emissions reductions to reach net-zero emissions by 2050 must come from technologies that are not currently ready for commercial markets. The First Movers Coalition focuses on accelerating innovation in eight sectors where these technology needs are concentrated: steel, trucking, shipping, aviation, cement, aluminum, chemicals, and direct air capture.
Meanwhile, in December, President Biden released a new Executive Order on Catalyzing Clean Energy Industries and Jobs Through Federal Sustainability, aimed at leveraging the purchasing power of the federal government to spark innovation and market demand for climate solutions. The Department of Defense has an outsized role to play in meeting the goals of this EO, given its size and energy demand.
This panel will discuss potential opportunities and synergies as the State Department, Department of Defense and private industry all pursue the goal of accelerating innovation, market demand, and adoption of clean energy technologies. Panelists include:
- Sherri Goodman, Senior Advisor, The Center for Climate & Security
- Varun Sivaram, Senior Director for Clean Energy & Innovation, Office of US Special Presidential Envoy for Climate John Kerry, US State Department
- Joe Bryan, Senior Advisor for Climate, Office of the Secretary of Defense
- Brian Moran, Vice President, Global Sustainability Policy & Partnerships, The Boeing Company
- Dr. Mike Witt, Vice President and Chief Sustainability Officer, Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Dr. Anshu Roy, Founder & CEO, Rhombus Power
The panel will be on the record and open to the public, including members of the press.