The Council on Strategic Risks (CSR), a nonprofit, nonpartisan security policy think tank based in Washington, DC, seeks to hire a full-time Communications Associate. This newly-created role will be key to the successful public communication of CSR’s work. See below for a full description of the position and qualifications desired, and click here to apply.
Roles and Responsibilities
The communications responsibilities of this role will include:
- Implementing all CSR institutional communications, consisting of media outreach, branding, communications advice and training, and social media presence – including responsibility for integrating content across CSR’s websites with social media.
- Acting as the main press contact for CSR, including facilitating external media coverage of CSR’s programs and experts.
- Providing communications support on all CSR publications, including reports, briefers, blog posts, press releases, and other materials as needed.
- Working with the CSR leadership and management teams (e.g., each component center’s director and deputy director) to develop and coordinate communications strategies and plans designed to build, engage, and sustain broader audiences for CSR’s work.
- Providing communications and branding advice in the final stages of production and design of digital and print products.
- Helping lead design and branding related to essential organizational materials.
- Assisting in the creation and distribution of CSR newsletters.
CSR will consider candidates with a range of relevant experiences. Successful candidates will be proactive, hands-on, and collaborative. Desired qualifications are:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
- Experience using a wide range of communications tools including social media, video, print publishing, graphics, web products, or podcasts
- Experience designing and managing communications initiatives
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Experience working with journalists, including an existing media network
- Proficiency with cloud-based workspaces
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines while exercising initiative, good judgment, creativity, and diplomacy
- Passion for CSR’s mission of anticipating, analyzing, and addressing systemic risks to security in the 21st century
- Experience in the security field – including the fields that CSR is involved in – is desirable but not required
CSR has a highly flexible work environment. Outside of specific meetings and events (when they may be conducted safely) remote working is our norm. CSR will evaluate applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled, so applying early is encouraged.
Apply for the Communications Associate position at this link.
CSR is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, political affiliation, matriculation status, genetic disposition or carrier status, or any other category protected under applicable federal, state or local law.