The person filling this role will:
Help ensure CSR has the right strategy, programs, and people to drive progress in addressing a range of threats to security posed by climate change and ecological degradation by:
- Identifying gaps in the field and devising plans for CCS/CSR to contribute to filling them, particularly at the nexus of foreign policy, development policy, and climate security.
- Raising awareness and pushing for the U.S. and international communities to prioritize addressing these threats.
- Contributing to current CCS efforts, such as the advancement of the recommendations in its Challenge Accepted report, its leadership of the International Military Council on Climate and Security, and its convening of the Climate Security Working Group and Climate Security Advisory Group.
- Developing new projects.
- Ensuring CCS work advances the organization’s mission.
Responsibilities for this role will include:
- Conducting regular outreach to government officials, international contacts, and other stakeholders. This will include private meetings, writing short form and in-depth reports, public speaking, and other outreach activities.
- Engaging, leading, and at times mobilizing extensive stakeholder networks and strategic partners. This will include advisors and affiliates of the organization, senior security and foreign policy leaders, donors, and beyond.
- Helping to manage CCS workstreams, budgets, and personnel. In some cases, this will require leading consortiums of coauthors, contributors, and project partners.
- Developing, fundraising for, and managing projects, and ensuring a high quality of work.
- Managing growth, navigating change, and troubleshooting, in collaboration with the CCS Director and other leaders across CSR.
Contributing to CSR organizational culture by:
- Mentoring others on the CSR team.
- Participating in strategic evaluation and development processes.
- Helping to advance CSR’s diversity and inclusivity goals.
- Helping with occasional personnel processes such as applicant evaluations, conducting interviews, and overseeing interns.
- Taking on other responsibilities that may be requested from time to time.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong working knowledge of international security issues and trends
- Expertise in and passion for addressing climate security threats
- Strong writing, editing, and briefing skills
- A team player mentality and strong interpersonal skills
- A desire to work in interdisciplinary, silo-busting environments
- Experience leading others
- A combination of significant experience relevant to the roles identified above and/or an advanced degree in a related field
- Experience with budgeting, fundraising and other financial management matters
- An ability to thrive in a flexible, innovative and largely remote working environment
- Location (at least part time) in Washington, D.C. is strongly desired
CSR seeks candidates with the vision and potential needed to become a true leader in national and international security. CSR has a flexible work environment; outside of specific in-person meetings and events (when they may be conducted safely) remote work is our norm. Compensation will be approximately $126,000-$150,000 per year, depending on qualifications, plus benefits.
CSR will consider applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled, with a strong preference for the person beginning no later than November 2022.
Apply for the Deputy Director position at this link.
CSR is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, political affiliation, matriculation status, genetic disposition or carrier status, or any other category protected under applicable federal, state or local law.